Are you seeking the best cordless jigsaw that will help elevate your woodworking projects? Have no fear, I’ve got you! A cordless jigsaw is an invaluable and multifunctional tool for any individual in the carpentry industry, permitting them to craft meticulous and accurate cuts with ease.
With so many choices available, it can be hard to find one that meets both your wants and budget. That’s why I created this in-depth guide – to help you pick the best cordless jigsaw for your woodworking needs.
This comprehensive jigsaw buying guide is perfect for all levels of woodworkers, from DIYers to professionals. Herein, I’ll dive deep into the realm of cordless jigsaws and acquaint you with the top-rated brands and models on the market.
Not only that, but I’ll also furnish you with all the data required to make an informed purchase decision; detailing features, specs, pros, and cons as well as user reviews. So without further ado, let’s enter the world of cordless jigsaws!
Cordless jigsaws have their advantages but also their disadvantages. If after reading this jigsaw comparison article you think that a corded jigsaw would suit you better, my article Find Your Perfect Match: Top 6 Best Corded Jigsaw Saws for Every Budget! help you for sure.
- Understanding cordless jigsaws
- Factors to Consider When Choosing a Cordless Jigsaw
- The Best Cordless Jigsaws on the Market
- Comparison Table of the Best Cordless Jigsaws
- How to Use a Cordless Jigsaw
- Maintenance of cordless jigsaws
- Cordless jigsaws vs. Other Types of Jigsaws
- What is the Best Cordless Jigsaw – Conclusion
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- What is a jigsaw used for?
- How do I choose the right blade for my jigsaw?
- What is the stroke length of a jigsaw?
- How do I change the blade on my jigsaw?
- Can I use a corded blade on a cordless jigsaw?
- How do I make a straight cut with a jigsaw?
- How do I make a curved cut with a jigsaw?
- What is orbital action?
- How do I clean my jigsaw?
- Can I use my jigsaw to cut metal?
Disclosure: At zero cost to you, I may get commissions for purchases made through links in this post. I earn from qualifying purchases as an Amazon associate. Products featured are selected based on quality, performance, and reputation, regardless of affiliate relationships.
Understanding cordless jigsaws
Cordless jigsaws, akin to their corded variety, are indispensable for woodworkers due to the increased maneuverability and flexibility they provide. With a reciprocating blade, these handheld power tools can cut through a variety of surfaces such as wood, plastic and metal.
A battery-powered, cordless jigsaw offers increased convenience and portability, granting you the freedom to roam when working on projects with unparalleled flexibility.
Despite being typically more convenient to use, cordless jigsaws are often not as powerful as their corded counterparts, meaning they may struggle to cut harder materials or be used over lengthy periods. Furthermore, they must be recharged regularly – a nuisance that could potentially disrupt your project.
Weighing the pros and cons of cordless and corded jigsaws is essential when making a decision. While wireless jigsaws give more freedom, their corded counterparts often have higher power output and dependability, giving you unfaltering power for longer work sessions.
Confronted by an extensive selection of cordless jigsaws, it can be tough to work out which one is the optimum choice for you; whether it’s a barrel-grip, top-handle or D-handle. Every product has its own individual advantages and characteristics.
Barrel grip jigsaws are designed with a handle near the rear for enhanced control and stability when cutting, whereas top-handle jigsaws boast a “D” style shape at the top for increased accuracy and agility.
When selecting the ideal cordless jigsaw for your woodworking projects, it is essential to consider your individual requirements and preferences.
To dive deeper into the knowledge of the jigsaw, you have to visit my main article What is a Jigsaw and How Does It Work? A Complete Overview
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Cordless Jigsaw
When searching for the best cordless jigsaw, several considerations should be made to guarantee that you procure the most suitable tool for your requirements. Here are some fundamental points to contemplate:
Power and Speed: When selecting a cordless jigsaw, it is essential to take into account its strength and velocity. Voltage typically defines how powerful the tool is, whereas strokes per minute (SPM) are responsible for measuring its speed. Generally speaking, the higher the voltage and SPM values, the more capable of cutting various materials will be the jigsaw.
Stroke Length: The stroke length of a jigsaw is the path traversed by the blade in one movement. A longer stroke length can increase speed when cutting through thicker materials, however it makes the tool more challenging to master. Related article: All You Need to Know About Jigsaw Cutting Depth – Best Guide
Orbital Action: The feature of orbital action enables the blade to rotate while it cuts, which speeds up and increases the efficiency of the job. Some jigsaw models come with adjustable orbital action, so you can customize its movement for various kinds of cuts.
Blade Compatibility: Choose a cordless jigsaw that is compatible with multiple blades for varying cuts. Additionally, some jigsaws feature a toolless blade exchange system, enabling one to rapidly exchange blades. While choosing your jigsaw, take a look at what blade type they use. Some use t-shank blades while others use u-shank blades. Learn more about blades for jigsaws and how to find the perfect blade for the job in my article Choosing the perfect jigsaw blades in 3 simple steps | FREE DOWNLOAD
Dust Blower: A dust blower is an advantageous device that helps to remove sawdust from the cutting line, thus providing you with greater visibility when it comes to your work. When selecting a jigsaw, be sure to look for one with an integrated dust blower or one with a compatible dust port for a vacuum.
Battery Life: When selecting a cordless jigsaw, it is essential to take battery life into account. A higher voltage and optimally powered motor will give you extended operation time compared to other units. Make sure to choose a device with a high-voltage battery and an efficient motor for maximum runtime.
Weight and Ergonomics: When selecting a jigsaw, its weight and ergonomic design are critical considerations. Opt for one that is lightweight and properly balanced to reduce hand fatigue during extended use. Ensure that the handles suit your grip comfortably.
Price: Finally, when deciding on a jigsaw, take into account its cost. Cordless jigsaws can range in price significantly due to their features and capabilities. Establish a budget for your purchase and select the most advantageous jigsaw within that limit.
In my article How To Find The Best Jigsaw – N°1 Jigsaw Guide you can go even deeper into this knowledge. Be sure you don’t miss any important information before you buy a jigsaw
The Best Cordless Jigsaws on the Market
01: Bosch JSH180B
The Bosch JSH180B is an ideal jigsaw for both novice builders and experienced woodworkers. Its compact size and lightweight construction ensure effortless maneuverability in confined spaces. Moreover, this cordless wonder eliminates the need for corded constraints, offering unprecedented levels of freedom and flexibility.
Features and Specifications
- Adjustable speed control: The jigsaw features a speed control that is variable. This allows you to adjust the speed of the blade based on the material you are cutting.
- 18-volt lithium-ion battery: The Bosch JSH180B is powered by an 18-volt lithium ion battery that provides long-lasting power and runtime.
- One-handed blade insertion and ejection: The jigsaw allows for easy blade insertion and ejection with just one hand, saving you time and hassle.
- Four-stage orbital action: The four-stage pendulum action provides different blade strokes for smooth and aggressive cuts.
- Dust blower: The jigsaw comes with a built-in dust blower that clears the cutting line of debris, improving visibility and accuracy.
- LED-light: The built-in LED light illuminates the cutting line, making it easier to follow and ensuring accurate cuts.
Total score: 4.5/5
02: DeWalt 20V MAX XR DCS334P1
The DeWalt cordless jigsaw is a robust, cordless jigsaw built for expert woodworkers and hobbyists alike. It’s driven by a powerful 20V MAX XR Lithium-Ion battery that provides long lasting energy and usage time.
The (variable) speed trigger grants users full control over the blade speed from 0 to 3,200 strokes per minute, perfect for cutting through a broad range of materials.
Features and Specifications
- Keyless blade clamp allows for quick and easy changing blades without the need for any tools.
- Brushless motor technology provides longer runtime and extended durability.
- Dust blower clears debris from the cut line to improve visibility.
- 4-position orbital action provides control of the aggressiveness or smoothness of the cut.
- Adjustable shoe allows for beveled cuts up to 45 degrees in both directions.
- Ergonomic handle with a soft grip provides comfort during extended use.
- Comes with a 4.0Ah battery, charger, and a kit box for storage and transportation.
The DeWalt jigsaw has earned accolades from its users, who appreciate the strength, precision and versatility this jigsaw offers. Many users have also commended its brushless motor technology that provides long-lasting runtime and durability.
In addition to that, the adjustable shoe and 4-position orbital action have been met with approval as they enable bevel cuts of up to 45 degrees in both directions and give the user control over how aggressive or smooth the cut is. On the downside, some people have pointed out that the dust blower lacks efficiency when it comes to clearing sawdust from the cutting line.
Furthermore, reviewers noted that this cordless model is a bit heavier than similar models. All things considered, for professionals and hobbyists alike, this reliable high performing cordless jigsaw from DeWalt is an exceptional choice.
DeWalt 20V MAX XR DCS334P1
Total score: 4/5
03: Makita XVJ02Z 18-Volt LXT
The XVJ02Z 18-Volt LXT Cordless Jigsaw from Makita is an outstanding, multi-functional device that can be used by both skilled tradespeople and the everyday DIYer. This tool belongs to the robust and dependable Makita’s LXT line of cordless tools, renowned for their dependability, longevity, and effectiveness.
Makita’s 18-volt LXT Lithium-Ion battery technology drives this jigsaw, giving it a prolonged runtime and rapid charging. Moreover, the XVJ02Z includes three orbital stands and the ability to cut straight for extra accuracy and versatility.
Features and Specifications
- Brushless jigsaw for improved efficiency and longer life
- Toolless blade change system for easy and fast blade replacement
- Three orbital settings plus straight cutting for versatility
- Speed control dial (800-3,500 SPM) for optimal speed while cutting in various materials
- Soft start suppresses start-up reaction for smooth start-ups and increased accuracy
- Large 2-finger variable speed trigger lock for added convenience and control
- “No Load” speed reduction feature automatically reduces SPM for smoother cutting when starting a cut
- Weighs only 5.8 lbs. with battery for reduced operator fatigue
- 1-inch stroke length for faster cutting
- Compact and ergonomic design for easy handling and maneuverability
- Built-in LED-light for improved visibility in low-light situations
This Makita cordless jigsaw has been praised for its exceptional strength, versatility, and ease of use. Its brushless motor is lauded for its efficiency, while its tool-less blade changing system and speed control dial enable users to tailor their cutting speed according to the material at hand.
Furthermore, the “No Load” speed reduction feature and soft start feature provide a smoother start-up as well as greater accuracy when used. In addition, this jigsaw is lightweight and comfortable to hold, lessening operator fatigue during lengthy tasks.
Despite these advantages, some users have knocked the Makita XVJ02Z for not offering a dust blower or including a battery and charger in the package’s cost. All in all, this cordless jigsaw is a dependable and proficient model capable of handling numerous types of cutting projects.
Makita XVJ02Z 18-Volt LXT
Total score: 4/5
04: Black & Decker BDCJS20C
The Black & Decker BDCJS20C is a cordless jigsaw crafted to flawlessly cut through wood, metal, and plastic. Featuring a lightweight and compact design, this powerful tool provides effortless maneuverability for added convenience.
Features and Specifications
- 20-volt max lithium-ion battery
- Variable speed trigger for increased control
- Tool-free blade release for easy blade changes
- Dust blower to keep the cutting line clear of debris
- Built-in work light for increased visibility
- Beveling shoe for angled cuts
- Maximum speed of 2,500 strokes per minute
- Weighs 5.5 pounds
The Black & Decker BDCJS20C is a well-respected, budget-friendly cordless jigsaw favored by its many users for its lightweight construction and simple blade release system.
Nonetheless, some reviewers have mentioned that it may not have enough battery life to meet their needs and lack the power necessary for intensive cutting projects. All in all, this tool is an apt choice for those who require an occasional cordless jigsaw for DIY projects or hobby activities.
Black & Decker BDCJS20C
Total score: 4/5
05: Milwaukee M18 FUEL D-Handle jig saw
The Milwaukee cordless Jigsaw is tailored for professional use and packs a powerful punch with its 3,500 strokes per minute. Featuring a tool-free blade changing system for quick and easy changes, the saw also has an adjustable beveling shoe that can tilt up to 45 degrees in either direction – providing increased versatility.
Features and Specifications
- The saw has a brushless motor that delivers up to 3,500 strokes per minute.
- The tool-free blade changing system allows you to change blades quickly and easily.
- The beveling shoe can be adjusted up to 45 degrees in both directions for increased versatility.
- The saw has a built-in dust blower that helps to keep the cutting line clear.
- The D-handle design provides a comfortable grip and greater control.
- The saw is compatible with all Milwaukee M18 batteries.
- The saw comes with a five-year warranty.
Customers usually adore the Milwaukee M18 FUEL for its potent force, wide range of applications, and simple manipulation. Many clients are satisfied with the tool-free blade changing facility that facilitates rapid and effortless blade replacement.
Additionally, the beveling shoe is a recognized feature as it permits users to execute inclined cuts effortlessly. Few purchasers have encountered issues regarding excessive heat production, however this appears to be an uncommon issue. To conclude, customers rate
Milwaukee M18 FUEL D-Handle jig saw
Total score: 4/5
06: Festool CARVEX PSBC 420 Li 18 (best cordless jigsaw of this list)
The CARVEX PSBC 420 Li 18 from Festool is an extremely precise, powerful, and versatile cordless jigsaw, specifically crafted to meet the demands of seasoned woodworkers, carpenters, and contractors. This remarkable tool belongs to Festool’s extensive selection of power tools and accessories; all renowned for their toughness, dependability, and advanced features.
Features and Specifications
- The tool is equipped with a brushless EC-TEC motor that can reach up to 3,800 strokes per minute.
- The carbide guidance system ensures precise cuts.
- The interchangeable base system allows for easy switching between a straight base and a circle cutting base.
- The tool has a dust extraction system to keep the work area clean and reduce the risk of dust inhalation.
- The variable speed control feature lets you adjust the speed according to the material you are working with.
Praise for the Festool CARVEX PSBC 420 Li 18 is almost unanimous, with users commending it for its performance, accuracy and flexibility. The interchangeable base system has also earned a great deal of admiration, as it enables them to switch between projects swiftly and simply.
Additionally, an impressive dust collection system helps maintain a tidy workspace and prevents hazardous particles from being inhaled. Nevertheless, some customers have mentioned the jigsaw’s heftiness, making it strenuous to operate over long periods of time.
Furthermore, the cost may put off potential buyers, as this tool is one of the costlier ones available on the market. However, owning this jigsaw myself, I can tell you it is worth the money and in my opinion the best professional jigsaw on the market.
Personally, I’m a big fan of Festool and their system. You have to dive deeper into your wallet, but you get a lot for that in return. If you want to see more, I suggest you should watch my article Is Festool Worth It? the Essential Info You’re Looking For.
Festool CARVEX PSBC 420 Li 18
Total score: 4.5/5
Comparison Table of the Best Cordless Jigsaws
|Model||Bosch JSH180B||DeWalt 20V MAX XR DCS334P1||Makita XVJ02Z 18-Volt LXT||Black & Decker BDCJS20C||Milwaukee M18 FUEL D-Handle Jig Saw||Festool CARVEX PSBC 420 Li 18|
|Adjustable speed control||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Yes|
|Battery||18-volt lithium-ion||20V MAX XR Lithium-Ion||18-volt LXT Lithium-Ion||20-volt max lithium-ion||Milwaukee M18 batteries||Batteries sold separately|
|One-handed blade insertion/ejection||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No|
|Orbital action||Four-stage||4-position||Three orbital settings||Not specified||Not specified||Not specified|
|Weight||Not specified||Not specified||5.8 lbs.||5.5 lbs.||Not specified||Not specified|
|Beveling shoe||Not specified||Adjustable up to 45 degrees in both directions||Not specified||Yes||Adjustable up to 45 degrees in both directions||Interchangeable base system|
|User Reviews||Not specified||High-performance motor||Exceptional strength||Well-respected||Potent force||Exceptional precision and power|
How to Use a Cordless Jigsaw
Operating a cordless jigsaw is comparable to using a wired one; however, there are some additional steps to remember.
- Choose the right blade – When using a corded jigsaw, it is essential to pick a blade that is suitable for the material you wish to cut.
- Charge the battery – Ensure the battery of your cordless jigsaw is completely charged prior to its use.
- Adjust the blade – Securely attach your blade and make sure it is properly positioned. Modify the blade speed and pendulum settings depending on what you need to cut.
- Secure your workspace – Secure the material you’ll be working with by applying clamps to prevent it from shifting. Ensure everything is stable before beginning.
- Put on safety gear – For optimal safety during power tool operation, it is essential to cover your eyes and ears. Additionally, you may wish to don gloves and a dust mask for extra protection. More jigsaw safety tips here
- Turn on the jigsaw – Activate the battery-powered jigsaw and allow the blade to reach its highest velocity before you commence cutting.
- Make the cut – Position the blade of your jigsaw accurately so that it is at a right angle to the material you’re cutting. Hold it firmly but with a light touch, gliding along the line you wish to follow.
- Finish the cut – After cutting, switch off the jigsaw and wait for the blade to come to a complete halt before taking it out from the material.
Here are some additional tips for using a cordless jigsaw:
- Check the battery level regularly to avoid running out of power mid-project.
- Keep the battery charged between uses.
- Store the jigsaw in a dry, cool place when not in use.
- Be sure to use the correct blade for the material you are cutting.
- Avoid pressing too hard on the jigsaw, as this can cause the blade to warp or shatter.
By following these steps and tips, you can safely and effectively use a cordless jigsaw for your woodworking projects.
Maintenance of cordless jigsaws
With their convenience and portability, cordless jigsaws have become a go-to choice for many woodworkers. Unlike their corded counterparts, which must be plugged into an electric outlet, these battery-powered jigsaws offer increased flexibility in the workshop by providing freedom from power cords.
While using a cordless jigsaw is much like using a corded jigsaw, there are some key differences to keep in mind. Here are several tips on proper utilization and maintenance of your cordless jigsaw.
Prior to undertaking any project utilizing a wireless jigsaw, it is necessary to evaluate the battery life. Ensure the battery is fully charged first. Furthermore, it is suggested to keep a spare battery handy in case the main one fails.
Subsequent to using, take out the battery and store it in an area free of humidity and away from extreme temperatures. To ensure superior results, recharge the battery after each use for increased longevity.
Choosing the Right Blade
Choosing the right blade is essential for making accurate, timely cuts. Cordless jigsaws, similar to their corded counterparts, offer a variety of blades. Your selection should be influenced by what you’re cutting.
To attach it, press and maintain pressure on the blade clamp before securely inserting the blade. After that, ensure that the clamp is tightly fastened before switching on the jigsaw machine.
Adjusting the Settings
Before beginning your project, ensure that you adjust the settings of your cordless jigsaw. Depending on what kind of material you will be cutting, the speed setting should be changed accordingly.
Moreover, its orbital setting influences the motion of the blade; it is recommended to start with a low speed and orbital level and gradually increase them as needed. Doing so will help in making precise cuts while preserving the longevity of your blade.
Maintenance and Cleaning
After each use of your cordless jigsaw, be sure to brush or wipe away any collected sawdust and debris. Additionally, follow-up with lubrication of the moving parts and gears to avoid rusting and guarantee seamless operation. Moreover, regularly assess the blades for wear and tear; if needed, promptly replace them.
Subscribe to My Newsletter
Join 5000+ followers and get useful tips and notifications about new content in my weekly newsletter! Don’t miss it, register now!
Cordless jigsaws vs. Other Types of Jigsaws
When selecting a jigsaw, one can opt for either corded or cordless. Corded jigsaws are classic, yet recently, cordless varieties have been gaining immense recognition. Here are some divergences between the two types of jigsaw:
For those who frequently need to cut wood in areas without electrical outlets, cordless jigsaws are a great choice. These battery-powered tools offer more portability and ease of use compared to their corded counterparts, yet lack potency and tend to operate with limited battery life.
- Greater mobility and convenience
- Ideal for smaller projects
- Can be used in locations without a power outlet
- Less powerful than corded jigsaws
- Shorter battery time
Corded jigsaws, which require a power outlet for operation, offer faster cutting speeds and longer stroke lengths than battery types. Additionally, they are often quite durable and capable of tackling tougher jobs.
- More powerful and efficient
- Better for heavy-duty tasks
- More durable
- Limited by the length of the power cord
- Requires a power outlet
Ultimately, it is your decision to make whether a corded or battery powered jigsaw will be the best fit based on your particular needs and wants. If you require a tool for more demanding tasks, then the optimal choice would be using a corded jigsaw.
When the project is small or no electrical power is provided, a battery-powered tool could be the optimal selection.
For a more in depth article about this comparison, I suggest you should read The Great Debate: Corded vs Cordless Jigsaw – Which One to Buy?
What is the Best Cordless Jigsaw – Conclusion
Congratulations! By immersing yourself in this thorough guide, you now possess a wealth of expertise about cordless jigsaws. I’ve assessed the benefits and drawbacks of such devices, as well as outlined some tips for selecting the ideal model for your requirements.
Furthermore, I have detailed information regarding some of the market’s leading cordless jigsaws, including their capabilities, components, and specifications – like the Bosch JSH180B, DeWalt 20V MAX XR DCS334P1, Makita XVJ02Z 18-Volt LXT, Black & Decker BDCJS20C, Milwaukee M18 FUEL and Festool CARVEX PSBC 420 Li 18.
We wish this guide has assisted you to make a knowledgeable choice and select the cordless jigsaw that meets your needs most effectively. Don’t forget to account for components like potency and velocity, stroke length, orbital action, blade compatibility, dust blower, battery duration, weight and ergonomics, and cost.
Our guide is just getting started! If you want to hone your jigsaw skills even further, take a look at my article “7 Essential Techniques for Accurate Jigsaw Cuts (Quick Guide).” With this piece, you’ll acquire invaluable advice and techniques for delivering accurate and expeditious cuts that will add more finesse to your woodworking projects. Don’t hesitate to click and discover all the secrets behind becoming an expert with a jigsaw!
How to build your workshop on a budget?
Building a workshop can be daunting, filled with trial and error. Believe me, I’ve been in those shoes.
But it was “The Ultimate Small Workshop” course, a gem I discovered and now endorse on Christofix.com, that provided insights unparalleled to any other. This expertise empowered me to invest wisely and save substantially.
I really suggest it to all of my fellow DIYers and creators!
I hope this was helpful, and that this blog inspires you.
Feel free to share this blog on Facebook, Pinterest, or other social media.
You can do this by using the buttons below or at the top of the blog.
It will be much appreciated.
I’m looking forward to seeing you soon in another blog or video.
Christophe, founder of Christofix.com
Woodworking | DIY | Home decoration